Monday, April 30, 2007

The Station, Part 16 cont.

In this dream, I was out of the excursion suit. Out of any clothing for that matter. And it didn’t feel wrong at all, unlike those dreams we’ve all had about being caught at school or work in just our underwear. This was vastly different. Clothes would have felt cumbersome, unnecessary. It was just me, moving through one of the tunnels with ease. There was no exertion on my part. I felt like I’d been doing this all my life. And I was completely at home. The tunnel was just like all the others I had explored in waking life, but this one held no trepidation and no apprehension about what may lay on the other end. My purpose was clear: to visit a part of my domain and some old friends.

The tunnel ended, opening into a vast cavern that I had seen many times before, one of my favorites. It was beautiful and sad all at once, a reminder of an earlier time now long lost to the ages. It was a vast forest. Like no forest you’ve ever seen. This one held beauty on a staggering scale. Trees that dwarfed even the Redwoods were spread over a forest floor of stunning greenery. I moved into this garden and let the delicate leaves of undergrowth brush against my naked arms and legs. Each contact was like the warm embrace of loved ones not seen for ages. I glided through this underbrush and into a clearing of curled grass. I sat down to wait. I knew they would come. They always did. Somehow they always knew I was here long before I ever saw them. My wait was not long. I heard the sound of large beings moving through the tangle of leaves. I heard their low, cooing drone of pleasure. And into the clearing they came.

The eldest always appeared first. His bulk was a disguise for practiced grace. He stepped into the clearing with authority and laying his eye upon me, he lifted his two massive arms high signifying to his followers all was safe. The rest of them came in precise order of rank, the young that were still dependent of their mothers clinging to their mothers’ backs. They were truly magnificent. And they thought me fascinating. These towering beings surrounded me like children surrounding a wise teacher, anxious for tales of distant lands and morals. Their huge bodies began swaying, their hands gesticulating rapidly. They were all talking at once. And I couldn’t follow every question. They wanted so much to know of me—I had been gone far too long. But I welcomed the attention. I wanted to answer ever inquiry. Looking between two of them, I could see the elder, his muscled back straight and proud, his gaze directed into the forest, watching. He was always performing his sworn duty: to protect his people. He had no time for leisure. I very much admire and understand this being. We are more alike than different. We both are protectors.

The questions were asked and I began to answer each one calmly, methodically, with knowledge I didn’t know I had. With each answer I received a sign of satisfaction and thanks. Once every answer was given, mothers let their young explore. Even so young their smallest children were easily my height and twice my weight, but were ever gentle. Some were shy and decided rolling in the grass would be more to their liking. Some of the bolder ones made their way to me and carefully inspected me. One daring youngster touched my face and ran away. His mother cooed a laugh. I have always enjoyed these visits. I vowed to return more often.

No comments: