Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Station, Part 16 cont.

I don’t know what came over me just now or where this dream came from, but it was incredible. And it made some kind of sense. This knowledge. I knew I had something. It’s gone now. Or is it a simple matter of this place getting to me. If I’m that lonely, why haven’t I dreamt of human beings? Why am I imagining beings I’ve never laid eyes on?

I’ll worry about that later. Right now I have more pressing maters to attend to. Like what’s on the other side of this very real tunnel. Speaking of which, if I’m going to keep making my way through these things, I might was well come up with some nomenclature for them. So far, I’ve seen three versions of these passageways, so that means I need three names. I’ll take a page from modern taxonomy and Linnaeus and give them a genus and species. Why the hell not? Let’s see, what to do think of this: Tunnel Tall, Tunnel Round, and Tunnel Wide. Genus Tunnel, species Tall, Round and Wide. Eh, not elegant at all, but it does the job. So, now that I’ve got names for these things, I can put a least a little sense of order to my world. Listen to me—my world. Like I belong here. This isn’t any more my world than Mars is my world. And that planet is in Earth’s solar system. Next door neighbors on the cosmic scale. I need to make sense of this world. This world.

Tunnel Wide’s incline is starting to decrease. I’m thinking that I’m coming to the end. What do you think I’ll find this time? A vast desert? Another beach? How about a bottomless pit straight to Hell? Oh, better yet, the forest from my dream. That would be enough to send me over the edge. Hah! At least there’s light now. I can switch off my headlamp. Lets’ see what’s out there…

No comments: