Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Station, Part 20 cont.

It looks really cold in here. Fortunately my suit is well insulated for just such things. I’m going very slowly, taking my time, and keeping my path as straight as I can. Somewhere on the other side is another tunnel. Again, and I have no reasonable explanation for it, but Frontier 2 is not here. I just know it. Makes absolutely no sense, does it? I just know I’m getting closer. As a precaution I’ve also turned up the ambient speakers to maximum. If I can’t see what’s in here maybe I’ll be able to at least hear it. So far I’ve encountered a whole lot of nothing, aside from the fog. About this fog: it doesn’t look like any fog on earth I’ve ever seen. The color’s wrong, and it moves almost likes its alive. You know how when you walk through thick fog and it seems to fade as you get closer? Well, not this stuff. It just seemingly parts in layers as you pass, like a curtain without boundaries. Taking a look behind me, I see that it slides back into place, as if I was never there. The Tunnel Round that I came through? Well, if I hadn’t placed a beacon there, I would never know where it had been—son of a bitch. I’m a fucking idiot! I didn’t think to take the beacons from Frontier 1. They might’ve still been working. Wait. I’ve got something on speakers.

It isn’t that close, but it’s definitely there. To my right, well out of visual range, which isn’t that far really. And unfortunate. I shouldn’t put it like that. No, its merely inconvenient. Do I sound convincing? I don’t feel it. I’ve picked up a squelching sound, like feet in mud. Except it isn’t quick like a footstep. It’s more drawn out, almost as if someone were slowly dragging their feet through it. I haven’t encountered anything viscous like that yet. I should take more care in watching every angle. The flashlight in my hand feels rather useless right now. Redundant. My headlamp can barely cut through this mess. At least I’ve managed to keep on a straight path. Let’s hope that continues. The squelching sound is at my left now. Or is it just another source creating the noise? I’m going to stop walking for a moment and just listen.

There are several sources of sound. None are that close, but I think there may be at least half a dozen of them. Whatever they are, I can’t tell if they’re sound s of moment or just something moving in place. No, they’re moving. Just very slowly. Don’t really know if there’s that many. Can’t get a fix on anything in this damn fog. And I’m so damn tired. I need to take a break, but I don’t want to stay in here. I can’t see a fucking thing! I’ve started walking again, faster now. The ground has just started of become slippery. I’m heading towards something then. Getting a little deeper now. It’s up around my boots. No idea what it is. I’m looking right at it now and couldn’t tell you what the hell this stuff is. It’s gray and somewhat translucent. Almost like mucus. Now there’s thought I need to get out of my head right now. There is more of that squelching up ahead. No pattern to them. They just sound about the same. Something, many somethings, are moving on this surface. I don’t feel good about this. I want to turn around and haul ass back the way I came. It’s easy, even in here. Just turn around and cut a straight line to the Tunnel Wide.

No comments: