Friday, May 18, 2007

The Station, Part 25

Just look at them, so human, yet so not. People have speculated that these creatures were a transition stage between man and ape. I would say to them that they are so wrong. These beings are much more man than ape. Remove the hair, and what we have left is so much more a person. They’re still staring at me, probably wondering just what the hell I am. This giant white clumsy thing with the giant head within a head that is wandering their home. What must I look like to them. Huge, ugly, awkward perhaps. But one thing I’m apparently not—dangerous. And that bit of intuitiveness on their part is truly remarkable. Even if I wanted to catch one, this suit prevents me from doing that. The way the female tilts her head reminds so much of a little girl. But her feminine shape betrays her adulthood. Her fully formed breasts, the widened hips and thick pubic hair shows she’s definitely no child. Her male companion, could be her mate or her brother for all I know, is lean, but well muscled. Not a gram of fat on that body. I can’t say the same about myself. The station gym notwithstanding, I’m almost jealous.

They’re turning away from me, but not crouching down I notice. They’re walking away. I guess their curiosity has been satiated. I’m not a predator. I’m not food. So I’m not much good other than as some brief distraction from their daily life. My fifteen minutes of fame are up. They keep walking, but every few steps one of them will look over a shoulder at me. I’m still not moving. I’m still trying to digest what I’ve seen here. The female has stopped, and now the male. She’s making a face. Her wide lips are forming an O. And then she’s off again, catching up with her companion. What was that? Was it a good thing? I think it was. Maybe it was their version of sticking out a tongue. Making fun. Or making friendly. Just what would my pale, naked face’s expression was like just a brief moment before must have been like. Maybe they recognize and understand astonishment.

I know I need to find Frontier. But I need to follow these beings. I need to do that more right now. The pull is very strong. It’s so strong it frightens me. I need to se where they’re going. But I need to find Frontier first. What the hell is wrong with me? But then, I haven’t yet found the next tunnel. Or perhaps Frontier is here, just over the horizon. Could be. So I should stay with my could-have-been ancestors. Maybe they know something. Sure, they may not be able to explain it to me in words I’ll understand, but by observing them, I may discover something I would otherwise have missed, namely the path to the station. So much wishful thinking I know. But I know I need to stay with them. I need to do this. Don’t ask me just why. I think we both will have that answer soon. Just please bear with me.

No comments: