Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Station, Part 11

14/6/2207

I think I have learned all I can from here. Just out of morbid curiosity I’ve gone to the main hatch, which (and this can’t be pure chance) sits right above the floor of the object. I stood at the door, pondering whether if I opened it what would be the last thing I saw. The last thing I smelled. Oh, don’t think I’m suicidal. Not even close. I’m scared, but I want to get out of this. But I also want to know what has happened to me. I just had those thoughts as I stood at the hatch, knowing that six inches of alloy and a pocket of atmosphere separated me from whatever lay out outside in that darkness.

I’m back in the main control room now though, taking reading right now. The results show an atmosphere out there. I think there’s gravity as well. There is a particle density that rivals that of computer clean rooms in there. But there an oxygen/nitrogen mix that I could breathe. Some trace gases as well. It’s not Earth air, but damn close. Absolutely no air currents. And dead quiet. I’d say I’m feeling some more fear now, but it’s mixed with a growing excitement. I really didn’t think that would happen. Where the fuck am I?

No comments: