Friday, April 13, 2007

The Station, Part 15 cont.

Another sound, different. Somewhere above. Up near the roof of the valley. It’s gone now. A quick rustling. It’s far too high for me to make anything out except for what looks like mist or fog. Hell for all I know it could be rain clouds for the mushroom things. Of all things, the very first life outside found the earth is a glowing toadstool. I’m assuming they’re alive. They could be strange mineral formations or something. Yes, I definitely heard something up there now, above or inside that mist stuff. A raspy rustle. Don’t know if I like this. Can’t see anything up there. Maybe I should get a move on. Can’t see a way down into the valley. Perhaps I should take that as a sign to head back to the station. I’ll try another tunnel tomorrow. The beacon signal is still going strong. Like I need it as it’s a straight shot back out of here, but it’s still a comfort knowing it’s waiting for me at the other end.

Maybe it’s just me, but the tunnel doesn’t seem to have the downward incline that I thought it would. Guess I’m more tired than I thought. It feels more even than it should, but inside it’s obviously no different. Same smooth dark wall and floor. At least I didn’t eat any of the rations or use much of the water either. And the water is recyclable, you know what I mean. Beacon’s still going. No problem there, just a little further…I keep thinking about those fungi-like things. I don’t want to jump to conclusions about them, but I saw them. They looked very alive, not carved from windblown rock or grown like a stalagmite from mineral deposits. Organic is what I’m trying to say. What rock makes noise anyway? And the noises from the mist enshrouded roof, what about them? I’ll sleep on it after a shower descent meal—there’s the beacon. Hey, where are Frontier’s navigation lights? Where are the goddamn lights?! Calm yourself, Bradley. Not the end of the world, yet, soldier. Probably a glitch in the power distribution system. Frontier is straight ahead, you know that.

I’m shutting the beacon down. I’ll recharge it tonight. Not that it needs it. These things will last for weeks, but always, always leave the station with everything at full charge, right? It is in the regulations book. Well, the sooner I get my ass moving, the sooner I can eat.

Wait a minute. Just wait one damn minute. What is that? I gonna stop talking for a minute. Listening…

There’s a pulse. A throbbing sound. Sounds like it’s coming from everywhere at once. No, not exactly a sound. I can sort of…feel it. Like the feeling you get from extremely low base. But there is something audible about it. Nothing looks different, but it’s too damn dark to see much clearly except for….the floor. The floor is different. It’s still smooth, but there a new texture to it. I’m bending down to take a closer look. If I didn’t know better, I’d say this stuff was algae or lichen. It’s all around. How could I have missed this before? I’m going to take a sample.

I really don’t know what I’m going to do with it. I don’t think there’s a single microscope on board. Guess I’ll just store the sample in—SHIT!

No comments: