Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Station, Part 16 cont.

These non-trees remind me of something. Their delicate limbs open and close in a rhythm that has something of a mesmerizing effect on me if I stare at them too long. There’s a higher density of those floating bugs. More variety of shapes as well. And here’s the small ridge I fell down before. At least it’s an easy climb back up. Now I came look back and take a better look. If memory serves, the depression where the non-trees live is the depression where Frontier used to be. Has to be. The shape and size about right. It’s just been filled in somehow. Like the station fell through and the hole was filled in. I don’t know what kind of technology is capable of a feat like that but that has to be the answer. That means Frontier is below the grove somewhere. And that means I have to go down again. I’ve been down already, but that was on the other half of this chamber. I think I can then eliminate all those lower tunnel entrances in that half and concentrate on those on this half. And more specifically, tunnels that go down. I can see there are about maybe fifteen to twenty tunnels low enough that I can reach unaided. This could take a while. But I got the food and water for about five-and-a-half days left. That should be enough. Maybe I’ll get unusually lucky and hit upon the right tunnel on the first try. Yeah, like I’ve ever been that lucky before. Knowing my record with good luck, if there’s twenty tunnels to choose from and only one is right, I’ll take nineteen guesses. So, I’ll be methodical about it. I’ll start with the low tunnel furthest away, place a beacon and take a walk. If that tunnel doesn’t slope down after a time, I’ll turn back and go to the tunnel closest to that, mix and repeat. Sound like a plan? It isn’t elegant, but hell, what else could I try? Don’t hear you coming up anything brilliant. One more drink of water and I’m gone.

You’d think that who or whatever built this place would think to put of some kind of signage. Like, “For ocean view, take this tunnel” or something. Otherwise, you’d have a bunch of space tourists wandering about aimlessly, trying to find a bathroom or the tiki bar. Okay, I’m getting a little peeved. Come one, this is the eight tunnel and so far, I’ve gone up, straight, straight, up again, straight, etc. etc. Which one of these fuckers will take me to the damn basement? I’m tired. Fuck, this one goes up. Fucking damn it! I’m turning back. I think I need to sit down and eat some fucking gourmet paste.

I’m letting myself get frustrated. I knew it would be like this. But I’m on the clock here people. I breathe earth air and drink earth water. I can’t afford to get this place’s version of Montezuma’s revenge if I try the local watering hole. Get it? Give some kind of hint!

No comments: