Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Station, Part 54

Nothing remarkable has transpired since we last talked, unless you think of my ongoing path being that one remarkable thing. I have continued along this path provided by my mysterious assistants and with the luxury of it, have been able to appreciate the vastness of this white wilderness. It seems to stretch off in to forever in every direction, revealing nothing other than dunes that touch the horizon. Without my present knowledge to guide, and the incredible behavior of things unknown, only a fool would make this trek unaided. There is no guide. A compass is tied to magnetic fields that are unlike those of Earth. No sun, stars or moon to serve as a navigational tool. There is nothing. Thee is the wind and the things under the snow. Snow which has been holding a certain consistency since I have been traveling under their guidance for these many kilometers now. But on either side of me, I have seen a steady change in the colors and density of the ground. It began with the ever so slight hint of blue that has grown into a rather eerie quality. A refraction of changing overhead light I suppose. Also, the packed, powdery consistency has given way to a thicker, more slush-like appearance. How difficult would it be to try and cross this land without aid? Perhaps impossible even for me in my latest adaptive form. How very much I really appreciate it now. My coat of thick white fur, long muscular legs, even my nose, which I have noticed by touch has flattened and widened considerably after arriving in this cold place. All purposeful, sensible it all is. I have only but one idea as to how it is guided. As far as I know, the first physical changes occurred after I had eaten that ridiculously wonderful fruit. That one perfect, delicious orb dangling so temptingly from its awkward tree. A tree that had no business being where it was, in an equally vast, yet altogether different world away. It was the only time I eve felt ill. I attributed it later to poisoning. After all, I had just eaten something that for all intents and purposes was utterly alien to my system. Some biological chaos had to be expected after all. In my throes of pain I saw many things, went many places in my head. Like a massive data download, I was flooded with images and feelings that could not have been all my own. There was too much clarity, too many things I have been slowly but steadily recalling over the past few days. Which is what led me to my idea of sleep lessons, a hypothesis that seems to have paid off…so far. Forbidding as this place may be, I knew of in my body long before I grew to know it consciously. That fruit, whatever it bestowed me with that first bite, is the real secret of my success. No human ingenuity, no blind luck, not even the creatures that encourage my progress—there are things at work, very minuscule things that provide constant reworking in order to ensure I live on. A complex, hive minded cooperative effort to make sure their home and vehicle—my own body—is the best-equipped for its outside world as it can. Microscopic biological or perhaps even mechanical machines, but meaningful nonetheless. But is it for my benefit, theirs, or both? I have a feeling that I will have my answer soon enough. In fact, I may have many more answers, and yet more questions, once I have reached the Junction. In my sleep lesson I saw the only place of artificiality. So out of place it seems, but it is where al paths meet. It is a place of utmost importance. Not just in terms of my escape, but as what I suspect to be the one true controlling element of this great leviathan. The whale to me, Jonah. And I, Jonah, will finally have the chance to see my captor face to face.

No comments: