Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Station, Part 45

I have made one discovery thanks to Fred however. These crystals glow isn’t infinite. His though colorless now, is obviously of the same variety as mine. So perhaps whatever causes the luminescence, it’s dependent on something to perpetuate it. Far back and above, in the chamber where I discovered them, there were absolutely no faded crystals. I remember that clearly. Fred’s is the first one that I’ve seen that has lost its glow. So what else is different? Why am I so curious about this? Because both Fred and his crystal were once both alive. Both now lie dead. I don’t want to join them. And in the back of my mind, I have this feeling that I’m going that way. I’m missing something vital. Some little bit of information that would make all the difference. It’s far too late for me to go back and examine the crystal colony further. So, I have to rely on my memory. A memory which has been failing more and more of late. Except when it comes to my experiences in this place. All that came before; that is where I find it increasingly difficult to conjure memories. All this pondering is taking more effort than it should. If I didn’t know any different, I’d say I was drugged. But that can’t be, can it? I haven’t eaten all day, and only drank water from the stream. Is it something about the air? Yes, it could very well be a lack of oxygen that is taxing me. Yes, that must be it. I’m slowly suffocating. Fred needed more O2 than me. Bigger lungs. More effort to breathe. He’s an alien. He just couldn’t last.

That’s what I’d like to think. But I know I’m wrong. But I won’t have to worry about one thing—light. My crystal is showing no signs of fading out. Quite the opposite. I think as I examined my newfound dead friend, it grew a bit brighter once again.

This weariness is unrelenting. No matter what I do—increase my pace, even run for a bit, it never leaves me. It’s more than just exhaustion. It’s not a lack of breathable air. This is a hollowness that I have never felt. I am having serious doubts about my chances now. I’m only a mere fraction of the way I need to go, and yet I feel as if I’ve traveled already traveled the entire way. No, more than that. This is the very life, my essence if you will, being drained away. My only comfort is my strange blue light. So bright now. I can barely look directly at it anymore. How is it that I wither while it grows brighter? It may even be my imagination, but the crystal seems to have grown larger. That cannot be. My arms tells me it is heavier, but I’m so tired. The walking itself is so taxing now. But I can’t, won’t stop. Stopping means death. Fred found this out. And he had a crystal just like me. Just like me…going to stop talking and conserve strength. Sorry, just can’t spare the energy right now. I’m sure you understand.

No comments: