Monday, July 16, 2007

The Station, Part 52

The Junction is not a fantasy of my own making. Don’t assume I haven’t thought it over. But you weren’t in my head. You didn’t see what I saw. It made sense. Not in the way that dream logic makes sense. That kind of dreaming is completely nonsensical once you’re awake. No, I remember too much to think that way. There was a complex design that has stayed with me. I have followed the path that was shown to me in my unconscious. There is no wishful thinking here.

The dunes of snow are always changing shape, ever so slightly. They’re like a vast colony of living undulating things, constantly jockeying for prime positions in order to best capture the wind. Yet I know these dunes are not alive. It’s all just one vast collection of snow. So what is the meaning of all this? I may have found that out a few moments ago. I’m not sure, but I thought I witnessed a dune shift in a direction contrary to its cousins. Against the wind. It was quick and even my eyes, as keen as they are now, couldn’t quite tell for sure. I’ve kept my gaze locked in that direction, but there has been no new activity. It could have been just an anomaly, heavier show falling and collapsing over a lighter variety. We’ll see…

As I’ve trekked along, the consistency of snow has indeed become more dense, which has had the beneficial effect making my course an easier one. At this rate, I’ll find the entrance to the Junction sooner than I expected. What is sooner you may ask? I don’t really know, as I’ve not noted time in any measurable sense. No hours or days anymore. Time is governed by my body’s needs. There is the time to walk, the time to feed, the time to sleep. The last one, I think that may be coming soon. I need the first two less and less often now. As far was water, I haven’t felt the need for a drink since exiting the cave. The cave that I now know was made to house a single kind of living thing, one that had no business interacting with other forms of life. You and I both have seen the result of that scenario.

And no, I’m not seeing things either. That was most definitely a movement under a dune. Something is pushing its way underneath, tunneling through with purpose. I have no knowledge of what it could be—I have had no dream remotely like this. I can only hope that it is at best friendly, or at the very least, apathetic to my presence.

I have seen more movement. Or just now noticing it. The dunes undulate all around me, al from a distance. While I theorized that I may be witnessing some sort of optical illusion, such as heat mirages that look like water, I have ruled that out as a possibility. Whatever may be traveling under these snows, it is making an effort to stay out of my way. I’m going to test out my idea. Against my better judgment I’m standing still and watching for anything that might indicate a pattern or purpose. The roiling motions are getting ever more active, as if more of whatever they may be are gathering together. Or waking up perhaps. This doesn’t seem to be such a good idea anymore. I’m only delaying my rendezvous and for what? Just to see what is moving into position from all around me, closing in the gaps. Damn. I don’t like this anymore. Not one damn bit. I need to move now!

No comments: