Friday, June 8, 2007

The Station, Part 32

My head feels like its gone ten rounds and my limbs are all cramped up like I’ve put them through a marathon. But in light of all that, I feel better. I don’t think I’m going to die. I’m not really sure if I ever really came close. But one thing’s for sure. It was one hell of a ride. Don’t remember much. Mostly just a jumble of images and sounds. Hallucinations fueled by fever. A fever which is gone now by some miracle. I’m not going to question that too hard. That was pure misery. But what was the cause. Most likely the fruit. The lone fruit I plucked from the only tree in a place where I’m sure it would otherwise not exist, if not for me. How’s that for narcissistic?

I’m parched. Need to find some water. Without the suit, there’s no moisture to recycle. Not that it matters. There was maybe a day’s worth left in it. But there’s water nearby. I think the man apes have already shown me where it is. Under my feet no less. I don’t have any digging implements but the man apes didn’t need them either. The hard part will be finding the root.

Eureka! That took less time than expected. Now how did she do it? She peeled away some of the outer layering. Not as easy as I expected. Her fingers must be especially strong to be able to do this so quickly. It’s taking me a while just to peel off the first layer. I don’t know how the hell they ever figured out there was water in these otherwise unappealing roots, but I’m glad they did. Otherwise, I’d be in a heap of trouble right about now. Wish I could do this faster. So damn thirsty. Ah! Finally. The first layer’s off, and the second and third came off almost without effort. So that’s the trick. Get the hard outer shell off and the rest is sake. And it’s surprisingly moist underneath. So she just squeezed it over his mouth…

Ugh. Awful. Tastes like a water mixed with onion. But it’s wet. And that makes it good. Not a lot of water inside, but it’s a start. Not to worry; where there’s one, there’s more. Yup. Right over there. I’m pretty good at this. Already, I’m feeling much better. My headache’s fading and my throat is far less scratchy. The ache in my arms and legs had subsided considerably too. Remarkable what just a little water will do. My man ape friends just might be proud of me if they knew I was helping myself. Speaking of whom, I wonder where they went? And why all of a sudden is it important to me that some man apes are proud of me? It should be more disturbing than it is, but I’m still thirsty. But I think I’ve gotten the hang of the onion-radish-canteen things. Gotta come up with a better name for these little life savers than that.

Wish I had pockets in my remaining clothing. I would take a few of these water onions—that’s what I’ve decided to call them—with me. Oh well. I’m pretty confident that I’ll discover more on the way. On the way to where you ask once again. And the answer is always Frontier. Why would you ever doubt the answer would change?

No comments: