Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Station, Part 68

As I watch, the adult creature touches each of the young, one-by-one, in a most gentle way that belies its appearance of brutishness. It’s a caress, as a mother would caress her child. Its forelimbs gently sweep over each head. The young in turn emit a cooing sound that grows louder with each newly touched head. I am almost moved by the gesture, if not for my overriding fear of discovery. I do not want to consider what this family’s reaction to my presence would be. I would guess it to be a negative one. I do like this cooing much more than the desperate cries of just a few moments before. It calms me. I think that is its function. A mutual reassuring sound to one another that all is well. I do feel safer now, their attention focused on the adult. And now another adult has entered. This one even larger than the last. And different color with a face that is unmistakably wise. I would even say…gentle.

Once the caressing motions have ceased, all turn to this being, for even I know that this one is special. This one is the leader of them all. It body is pocked with numerous scars. There are patches there fur is missing. And one hand-like extremity is missing. But its countenance is magnificent. The eyes, set deep within I can easily become lost. Countless wrinkles crisscross a leathery forehead and cheeks. The face is a gentle one. That, in combination with the resonant sound the children emit is so calming. Perhaps being discovered would not be so terrible. In their time of great calm, would not my miniscule size be of little concern? Here, bathed in the warm light of a sunless sky, I stand at the very center of a small world dominated by vast beings of what I only recently thought to be impossible. I watch as the eldest one look upon its subordinate and the children, and watch as it turns to peer directly in my direction. I go from calm warmth to cold fear in an instant. I have been discovered. And now as I shiver in helplessness, it approaches. And while grows closer, I see that all eyes are now upon me. There is no place to flee, the exit is blocked. The opening above is too far above to reach. I have violated to sanctity of their home. I’ve closed my eyes. I fear that these are my last words to you, whoever you are. Thank you for listening…

I’m awaiting pain yet nothing happens. I’m afraid to open my eyes, but that’s what I do. There is a massive face barely a meter away from my own. This close, I can see deep into it eyes. I was wrong. There are pupils. They seem to react to my speech, narrowing at its cessation, widening with new the beginning of each new sentence.

We stare at each other for what feels like an eternity, but in reality is a mere handful of seconds. Then I sense that something is happening behind this old one. It finally backs away slightly as if to show me what goes on behind it. The young ones have lined the walls in an evenly spaced fashion. The lesser adult rests in front of them, seemingly in a resting position. They do not move. Their heads are bowed down. I do not understand this reaction at all. But the old one opposite me approaches again, and this time is reaching out it arms high above me. Does it mean to strike me? I want to run, but everywhere I could go is blocked by one of these creatures. But then, the old one is moving so slowly, deliberately. Its arms reach their apex, and just as slowly, come down to the floor as it takes on a bowing position, a pose of supplication. I am astounded. In front of me, this creature that could crush me with a single blow, is bowing before me as if I were it ruler. And then I see that the other adult has done the same. And in no particular order, the young has begun to follow suit, their plumper bodies looking somewhat ridiculous as they mimic the movement of their elders, holding of their stunted forelegs as high as they can, and then bringing them down again in a comical imitation of the bowing position. I have no fear now. At my own amazement, I am utterly embarrassed. I do not deserve this treatment at all. And now the old one stands again and turns to the other adult. Making a noise with its wings that is a cross between a buzz and a voice; the lesser one touches the child creature closest to it. This little one still far superior to myself in size, makes it way towards me.

No comments: